Happy Thought Indeed

Once upon a time, there was a girl who loved Jane Austen, U2, movies, reading, and the Red Sox. Then she met the Object of Her Affection and found someone who liked three out of five. She decided this was a good thing. This is her story.

Saturday, October 13, 2007

30 - The First Day

CC Sabathia totally made my birthday. TOTALLY.

So the first game of the ALCS being on my birtday was a good omen. In 2004, the ALCS started on my birthday and they went on to win the whole thing.

Omar's birthday gift also made my day. A beautiful, beautiful gold necklace with a lovely diamond drop really does lift your spirits. He has nice taste in jewelry. It matches my wedding bands and the earrings he gave me Christmas a few years ago. I don't own a lot of gold jewelry, so I'm on a hunt for costume stuff that I can wear with it. I know you can mix silver and gold these days, but I'm somewhat of a traditionalist in that sense.

Omar turns 30 in February, so now I have to think of something good to get him. I was thinking about a nice leather laptop case/briefcase, because you should see the ratty tatty thing he totes around that his mother gave him after we graduated from college. He's used it to death. He has a nice backpack that he bought himself to tote the laptop to and from class, but once class is done and he's not toting the laptop around, it will become slightly superfluous. He has a watch, a nice one, it just needs a new battery (although one of mine does too). I don't mean to say we're in competition for who gives the better gift and it's more of a thoughtfulness thing than anything else, but I want to wow him the way he always wows me with gifts. The only time I ever really, really left him speechless was the year I gave him an iPod for Christmas. That was when they were still really new and cost a fortune. It was before we were married and I was actually making more money than him at that point, but with every promotion he got he passed me on the pay scale. Then I quit the store and started in the basement for pay again.

I just had a raise go through and semi-promotion go through at my job. Instead of a service rep for the company, now I'm a senior rep, which was a $4K pay raise and more responsibility. They want me to transfer to the Portsmouth facility eventually, but we're going to have to see what happens with Omar after he graduates in the spring. We'd like to live closer to my parents, just because if a baby does happen to come along my mother could probably convinced to watch it. She's bugging me enough for grandkids, that's for sure.

Off to return some of the clothes I bought at Old Navy because they are ill fitting (dress shirts are tough- they don't button well enough across the chest, but if you buy them the next size up they're too big. I cannot win here, people) and to buy a birthday gift for Daddy-O. We're on our way up to NH this afternoon for annual birthday dinner of spaghetti and meatballs with the fam. I've had the same dinner on my birthday every year since I was nine. And Daddy-O always makes me chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast. It's nice how, even at thirty, your parents still want to baby you like you were six.

Watch out, Carmona! Ramirez and Big Papi are on to you. YOU ARE TOAST.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home