Happy Thought Indeed

Once upon a time, there was a girl who loved Jane Austen, U2, movies, reading, and the Red Sox. Then she met the Object of Her Affection and found someone who liked three out of five. She decided this was a good thing. This is her story.

Sunday, March 11, 2007

1 Angry Lucy

I'm all for old movies. I, in fact, adore all movies. 2 movies in my Top 5 are old movies (Casablance, Notorious). However, I do no adore 12 Angry Men. I'm currently watching it for my litigation class in my paralegal course and as jarring as it is to see Jack Warden and EG Marshall not only alive, but very young, it's not my cup of tea.

I find movies where there's just a lot of conversation and not much else happening to be rather dull. This dialogue isn't actually that interesting, although the idea is. Lock 12 men into a sweltering hot room with no a/c or fan and have them debate over whether or not to convict an 18 year old of murder and send him to the chair. Have one person dissent when everyone else thinks he's guilty. There was a Veronica Mars episode based on this, except not.

Anyway, I'm not feeling the love for this movie.

It was a rough weekend. My sister was in a crappy mood at my parents' house, which put me in a crappy mood. We missed the open house we wanted to go to. I had a paper to write for my real estate course, which I hate. And this movie blows because it's not holding my attention.

I'm on a Jane Austen kick, but my collected works is freaking huge and not travel friendly. So I'm needing to go out and get copies of Persuasion and Sense & Sensibility. I'll hold off on the others (I already have Pride and Prejudice) until I'm really in the mood to read the so-called lesser works. Emma drives me bonkers, although not nearly so much as Mansfield Park does. My sister loves Mansfield Park, but I can't stand it. I read it because I love Jane Austen so much I would read anything she wrote. I wish she had written more and I think the world is poorer for the fact she didn't write more. Instead, we get the melodramatics for the Bronte sisters, who, for the love of God, were quite possible crazy. Don't get me wrong, I love Jane Eyre. It's also in the top 5 books of all time (along with Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Anne's House of Dreams, which may not be the best book in the Anne Shirley series, but I like it because it's a bridge between Anne as a young woman with hazy dreams and Anne as an adult with realistic dreams). But I hate Wuthering Heights. I still read it once a year, because it's Wuthering Heights, but I read it because I feel an obligation as an English major to do so. It's why I read Virginia Woolf. I feel obligated. I can't always read crappy stuff. I like to make my brain work every now and then.

Tried to watch Some Like It Hot last night and just felt immeasurably out of touch with it. I used to love that movie. Now, it kind of leaves me cold. There's something manipulative about it. I get that Marilyn Monroe is supposed to be an f'd up floozy, but knowing that she was like that in real life too makes the manipulation of her character Sugar that much more uncomfortable. It's too easy to see Tony Curtis as a sleazebag. He sounds like he's one in real life.

Went and looked at a condo today; the owner was a freaking loon. It was a nice place, but it's a one floor condo with two small bedrooms and not nearly enough storage. The owner said it's 1200 square feet, but I don't think she's right about that. We have 1100 here (probably closer to 900 because I think my landlord is liar) and that place was a lot smaller than this one.

Seriously, this movie is so not what I'm interested in. But it's homework, so here we go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home