Happy Thought Indeed

Once upon a time, there was a girl who loved Jane Austen, U2, movies, reading, and the Red Sox. Then she met the Object of Her Affection and found someone who liked three out of five. She decided this was a good thing. This is her story.

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Happy Holidays

So it's the holiday season again. It seems to start earlier and earlier every year. This year, they were running Christmas ads the day after Halloween.

Thanksgiving was good this year. We spent it with Omar's parents and siblings and had a very nice day for the most part. I enjoyed myself. Saturday I went to NH and spent the evening with my best friend from high school, with whom I have nothing in common anymore. We're at totally different places in our lives, living on opposite sides of the country. The only thing we have in common is that for four years we hated high school together. Still, it was nice to see her and to find out how her life has been going. In a lot of ways, it made me feel better about mine.

Because it's Christmas, there's lots of old movies on these days. Home Alone is on TBS right now and I'm finding myself chuckling with it as I listen. I like Christmas. It's a nice, homey time of year. My mom gets so excited about us coming home for it and I like coming into a warm house that smells like good things to eat.

We were at my parents' house yesterday and we watched Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck. My mom made this really yummy risotto and breaded chicked with sherry. So yummy. Both of them are pretty easy to make, so I could probably make them myself. They were yummy.

We're doing the split Christmas thing again, Christmas Eve and morning with my family, Christmas dinner and night with Omar's. Of course I don't want to not see Omar's family, but it's hard to go here, there, and everywhere during the holidays. There's a part of my that doesn't want to leave my parents' house on Christmas day. But it's not fair to Omar, so we do the whole travel thing and hope for the best.

Anyway, this is the first year I haven't work in retail since forever. And it is the best. I'm actually looking forward to Christmas instead of wishing it and everything associated with it annihilated in a nuclear holocaust. It's a nice sensation not to hate the holidays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home