Happy Thought Indeed

Once upon a time, there was a girl who loved Jane Austen, U2, movies, reading, and the Red Sox. Then she met the Object of Her Affection and found someone who liked three out of five. She decided this was a good thing. This is her story.

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Where To Start?

Really? Has it been nearly a year since I updated this thing? How odd. Time moves so differently these days since I had my sweet little boy. Who was really not so sweet today as it's been temper tantrum central around here. One massive meltdown this morning because Steve (formally known as Omar) made him wear a coat and one this evening because I had the audacity to ask him to come down the stairs instead of laying down on the landing.

I've decided to drop the pseudonyms. I was trying to protect the guilty, but whatever. I don't have the energy any more to try and be clever. I'm a working mom with three full-time jobs: mom, wife, corporate slave. Actually, I can't complain. My job's going really well right now and I'm doing well at it. I don't feel quite as hopeless about job advancement as I did a year ago and I know I'm doing good work.

Thomas - or Super Toddler as I refer to him on Facebook - is pretty much the awesomest thing ever. Temper tantrums and all he's still totally the best. He has such a sweet, sunny disposition and he plays so well with other kids. He's gotten into some awful habits about food - as in he refuses to eat the dinner put in from of him - but I'm hoping that once my kitchen is put back together I'll be able to get him back on track.

I am currently in kitchen renovation hell. We started over a month ago and it's still not fucking done. I can't even talk about it, I'm so incensed. Our contractor, who came so highly recommended from IKEA, is AWFUL. As soon as he's done, I'm writing a negative review on yelp or whatever I can of him. AWFUL. I've had my appliances for a week, but I can't use them because I still don't have a faucet or a water line to my fridge for my new ice maker. It's been one nightmare delay after another and I can't even talk about how much I hate them. But my new kitchen is fabulous. It is going to be beautiful once I get it all set up again. If that day ever comes.

Thomas is 2 now and he is smart, observant, tall, and the most wonderful thing I have ever done. I don't know how I got so lucky. He's not perfect - his Elmo obsession leaves me with a headache most days - but he's so much fun. I can't get enough of spending time with him. We play trucks and trains and we read books and play outside and he has such a sweet little laugh when I tickle him. He loves lawnmowers and vacuum cleaners and hockey. Except for the Elmo thing, I can't think of one thing I don't love to do with him.

My beloved Red Sox collapsed so spectacularly in September that I can't even stand to talk about it. Terry Francona is gone, Theo Epstein is gone, but John EFFING Lackey is still here (so far). They were so awful this September I couldn't bring myself to sit through a full game. It was just painful. Now with the allegations of drinking and lack of training and the general clubhouse shenanigans I feel sick about them. It makes me angry to see how a team with so much talent fell apart so completely. I will never give up on them, of course, but I think I need a break from them. Steve got me into hockey last year, so we've been watching the Bruins.

Hopefully, I'll be able to update more. I've decided to put myself through the hell that's NaNoWriMo, so we'll see how that goes.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home